As I watch the final days of December dissolve from my sunny backyard, and 2011 beckons on the horizon, like an alarm just moments from eruption, I am compelled to reflect on what has been. In preparation for walking – or perhaps stumbling, as the case may be – through the pearly gates of New Years eve, I have collected a few things for the journey; things I don’t want to forget among the bubbles and New Year’s resolutions to doing things differently. In fact I’ve made a list: The 20 defining moments of 2011. Conscious of not being so indulgent and boring as a newly returned traveller with a 5 Gb memory card full of ‘you had to be there’ photos, I have culled my list down to only those moments related to bikes, which happen to account for exactly half of my list of 20; an equation that speaks volumes about the role of bikes and bike riding in my world.
Please note, the following items are not arranged in any kind of temporal and meaning-based order, they simply appear on the page as they do in my mind; randomly, and beautifully.
- Meeting Felicity, a fellow female mountain biker, in a serendipitous moment on the manly ferry
- Making it down my first ever downhill run at Thredbo, not only in one piece, but also donning a smile wider than a set of deep Vs – best feeling ever!
- Selling my first fixie
- Buying my first Yetti
- Crashing thigh first – then elbow, then shoulder – into the bark strewn embankment of the Ourimbah mountain bike trail, not once, not twice, but four times over.
- Crossing the line first at the final round of the Rocky Trail Entertainment GP4 hour series
- Pedaling over to Manly Dam (a local mtb trail) late one afternoon for a very productive impromptu skills session with my mate Felicity
- Throwing my bike into the dirt halfway through an unwilling 4am lap at the Scott 24 hour race in a tantrum to rival the most obnoxious two year old
- The fleeting moment during a race at round 3 of the state series 4x when I was coming equal third . It was a rare moment when, for once, I wasn’t admiring the other competitors from a distance
- Chasing the Wednesday night fixie crew back from La Perouse one particularly chilly evening, my legs spinning faster than I thought humanly possible, with the city in my sights and my partner by side
So there you have it, a year of riding distilled into 10 single moments… Have a go yourself, immortalise those precious riding memories from 2010 before they morph into a yet another year of bikes and rides.