Just over a year ago I rescued this bike from my great aunt’s garage. It is an old steel frame single speed Raleigh road bike. Its around 40/50 years old (I think!) It was in terrible condition as you can see from the picture.
I thought it would be a great project to bring it back to life but at the time I found it I was saving up to go traveling so I couldn’t afford to do anything with it. So it was left to sit for another year :/ until a few weekends ago when I stripped it down with the help of my boyfriend and we painstakingly put it back together. It was actually lots of fun.
Here are some pics of the work we did:
We started off by dismantling the bike completely and cleaning each part. Lots of tea breaks were required Our aim was to re-use and salvage as many of the original parts as possible.
We took the wheels down to the local bicycle shop and bought some new tires, rim tape and tubes for them. We used a metal polish and wire wool to clean all the crome parts of the bike – the wheels were particularly bad!
We were going to re-spray the frame but the paintwork wasn’t actually as bad as we thought so we just gave it a good clean instead.
All finished and ready to go. I managed to find an old saddle in good condition on ebay which was great as the original saddle was gone beyond repair. I found an old basket in the garage which fits perfectly on the front of the bike and everything else is original! Success!
The only think I am having trouble with is the rod brakes. The front one is working fine but the spring is gone on the back brake and I haven’t been able to find a replacement yet. I’ll have to google it more!